Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Back to the Municipality

For those who remember my last experience with my local municipality, here is a continuation. This morning I took back my completed form (filled in with a typewriter :) ). I didn't want to be late for work so I went early to make sure I was one of the first there. They open at 8:30; I was there at 8:05. While waiting, I witnessed the cleaning lady bringing out a large bag filled with discarded folders; she proceeded to spill out the contents and select the folders that were best in shape. When the security guard asked her what she needed the folders for, she replied that she sings in a choir of 29 women, and they need the folders to keep their music in. Good way to recycle, I say!

Finally 8:30 came, I went into the administrative office but of course the woman who was responsible for signing my form hadn't arrived yet. A few minutes later she came and proceeded to complete all the necessary paperwork. I thought I was done (and so quickly too), when she gave me the bad news that the cashier wasn't there yet and I had to wait to pay my 10 leva. Otherwise, I wouldn't get my form. So I waited... almost 20 minutes. In the meantime, I overheard one of the women working there complain that her computer wasn't working and she couldn't do her job. (Happens quite often I am sure.) The funnier conversation though was one in which one of the women told another one that she couldn't wear jeans to work. The second woman (the one being accused of wearing jeans) retorted, "In the U.S., jeans are considered completely respectable attire for government workers." The first woman did not buy that and said, "That may be so, but we are not in the U.S."

I laughed to myself. First of all, I wonder from where the jeans-wearing woman had the information that U.S. government workers wear jeans to work (American movies, perhaps?) And I just loved how she pulled that random fact out of her "bag of general knowledge" in her defence :)

At 9:05, I was done - signed form in hand and everything, and I had also had some early morning humor. What more could I ask for?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha,
that's funny.
I can imagine the silhouettes of the two ladies behind the semi-transparent glass/plastic window keeping them away from you...
Wait until it's time to change your driving license...the procedure can be "tricky" too :)

DJ said...

I have been putting off getting my Bulgarian driver's license renewed for...well...9 months almost, since I don't own a car. But I think I will have to face that little "adventure" too at some point soon.