Monday, June 18, 2007

The Invasion of the Metrosexuals

I paid my first visit to the long-renovated Yalta Club on Saturday. My boss (who, btw, is a huge fan of house music) had free passes from a friend, so a bunch of us from work went. This time around the DJ spinning was not a big name (as has become the norm at Yalta where during the span of 2-3 months the likes of Pete Tong, Steve Lawler, Hernan Cattaneo, etc. graced us with their presence every weekend). The music was OK... but what I couldn't help but notice was the crowd...and, more specifically, the guys.

I am sure you have all heard the term metrosexual, used basically to describe guys who are really into their looks and take the time and spend the money to look good. Well, Yalta was PACKED with them and I am not exaggerating at all. In fact, I don't think I saw one "regular-looking" guy, apart from the guys from work. It was pretty ridiculous. The clothes, the hair, the sunglasses... even the moves on the dance floor. It was a bit too much. Suffice it to say, that I am not really into guys who spend more time and money on their appearance than I do :) (And the funny thing was that the women weren't the dressy/preppy type at all.)

What I found amazing though in thinking about this is that this type of phenomenon did not exist a few years back. Bulgarian guys prided themselves on looking macho and being "manly" so to speak. In fact, they would have reacted with disgust to seeing such men amongst themselves. Times change I guess.

Though I would add the caveat that these guys are probably predominantly part of the house/clubbing scene; they haven't overrun Sofia quite yet :). Thankfully, I don't see many of them at the other places I like to hang out, like Toba&Co, Alcohol, Cabaret and Mojito.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

:))
If metrosexuals had a bigger presence in Bulgaria, I wouldn't see this is a problem. I think this is a good tendency that does not diminish the masculinity of Bulgarian men at all.
A man should know how to dress/look stylish(ly) and clean(ly) without putting too much time and effort into it. But again, as you suggested, this phenomenon is probably limited to the house/club scene.

DJ said...

See I disagree a little bit. I think there is a difference between a guy taking care of himself and his appearance instead of following the school of thought "this is me as nature created me, so i don't even need to wear deo" :) on the one hand, and a guy going over the top with cosmetics and sporting the latest trendy look, on the other.
I also approve of the "development" of BG men paying slightly more attention to their appearance. Its the latter type I described above that I don't find attractive or charming at all. Perhaps it's the vanity that I don't like... come to think of it, I don't have much of a liking for that type of women either (the overdressed, over-perfumed, and over-made up type :))

Anonymous said...

I agree with your differentiation. As
a matter of fact, I was talking exactly about men "taking care of [them]sel[ves] and [their] appearance". Even though that should be the norm, my suspicion is that it is still considered a metrosexual behaviour in Bulgaria.
Correct me if I am wrong.
Now that I am reading your post again, I am starting to think what you saw in "Yalta" was probably the latter type you are describing: fashion victims with too much cosmetics, I would guess dressed in "Energie" from top to bottom?

DJ said...

Exactly! Except I am sure half of them were wearing fake Energie :)