Friday, June 01, 2007

A Day at the Office

There are many things that you can do during the course of a work day. But I think there are even more you can do when your workplace is in Bulgaria (and you work for a small company, which is over 90% of companies here). Today our whole team of 15 cleaned the office, and I mean, really cleaned. As in scrubbed bathroom walls and floors, dusted all shelves, threw out unneeded papers, cleaned the fridge and everything else in our kitchenette, and so forth. Who would have thought I would ever have to do this as part of my job? But it wasn't that bad; it was almost like a team-building experience. And if this "work day" sounds strange to you, then the fact that an acquaintance of mine (and his whole team) is being asked to come into work to re-paint the office would probably sound absurd. But, hey, we are all multi-skilled here :).

Btw, I just wanted to note that today as I was riding the marshrutka home and got up to tell the driver where to stop, he actually beat me to it by asking, "Where would it be convenient for you that I stop?" That quite surprised me, in a good way of course.

And lastly Happy Children's Day to all those who are still children deep inside!

2 comments:

ahsan said...

this actually sounds like a fun activity to do in some ways. i am sure in some organizational management book someone has written a theory about its effectiveness in bringing teams together or something. i wonder if that happened with u guys...

DJ said...

All I can say is that it's a good thing we all get along. Can you imagine if you really didn't like someone on your team? Then it would be like, "Ummm I think the bathroom is waiting for you to clean it... and the dirty fridge, oh, and that nasty pile of dusty binders..."
But it is definitely an effective way to clean... the office looks almost like new today :)