Saturday, February 03, 2007

The Art of Planning

There are many differences between people in the U.S. (even Bulgarians living there) and people in Bulgaria. One of them is how they plan or don't plan things. What do I mean specifically?

Well, for example, in the U.S. if you wanted to hang out with someone, you have to pick a date at least 2 weeks in advance; otherwise, the person most likely won't be free. In Bulgaria, sometimes even if you talk to someone the day of (trying to figure something out for the same evening), they might still tell you, "Let's talk a little bit later. Can't make a plan right now." Having gotten used to the former, it was a little bit hard for me at first to switch to the latter. But what I have come to realize is that most frequently with the BG-way of planning (if I can call it that), you actually do get to see the person... whereas with the US-style, people have quite a lot of time to back out (and often do)...that is, plans are not taken that seriously. Here, I feel like if you definitely say you will meet up with someone, it's a commitment broken only if you a
re sick or something really out-of-the-ordinary happens. And I think I prefer it this way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We don't want to plan, we want to improvise and be creative.

DJ said...

:) and that's how it should be. one of my favorite quotes since this past spring is "Life is what happens while you are making other plans."

I try to keep that in mind when I start planning too much.