Saturday, October 13, 2007

Spicing It Up in Class

So, I love all of my classes. All except one. I won't got into my schedule and syllabi here, but instead try to illustrate what I mean by an anecdote (or several). All first-year students in my program have to take this class; so we are all in it together so to speak. Well, people are so bored in the lectures that we have resorted to all sorts of "measures" to spice things up a bit.

1) Buzzword bingo - people prepare their bingo grids before class, listing words that are likely to come up during the lecture. As a "buzzword" is mentioned by the professor or other students, you cross it off your grid, and this goes on until you get five in a row/column/diagonally. Most of you probably know the deal.

2) Variation of the above - again using the bingo grid, this time though listing the names of classmates you think will raise their hand in class to ask a question or make a comment. Once you get a "bingo" you have to let others who are playing know by raising your hand and asking a question (or making a comment) that incorporates the word "bingo."

3) Word of the week - people come up with a random word that you would probably never use in that class. Whoever manages to incorporate the word into a question or comment they are making, gets points. If you use the word in an even less likely "phrase" (which is also determined ahead of time), you get extra points. The word changes every week. This past week the word was "crunchy", the phrase was "gratuitously crunchy", and the topic of the lecture was electoral systems... and one classmate actually managed to use both the word and the phrase.

Yes, we are that desperate for boredom relief.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hehe, that actually sounds like fun - I would be rolling around in laughter on the inside (kind of hard to stay in your seat).


That reminds me of one seminar N. and I had senior year - we had read a book that is famous for the largest number of euphemisms for sex, written in 15-something. Very amusing. But of course the seminar was very dryly avoiding those topics. All of a sudden N. looks out the window points and starts laughing....and I see two squirrels merrily going at on a tree branch outside the window. The funny part was they kept coming back for more! So of course we are both trying VERY hard not to laugh outloud and I think N. almost fell off her chair!

I mean with a book full of penis jokes and "the two-backed" beast and a son whose father praises him for finding out that a goose is the softest thing to wipe your ass with....how could you not laugh??

heinz

DJ said...

Oh, I wish I had been there to witness this myself. That sounds hilarious!!! How appropriate to witness this scene while the professor is desperately trying to avoid mentioning anything to do with sex....and there are the squirrels, going at it, right in your face! Amazing:)

(I can also really picture N almost falling off her chair from laughter!)

Anonymous said...

"Afterwards I wiped my tail with a hen, with a cock, with a pullet, with a calf's skin, with a hare, with a pigeon, with a cormorant, with an attorney's bag, with a montero, with a coif, with a falconer's lure. But, to conclude, I say and maintain, that of all torcheculs, arsewisps, bumfodders, tail-napkins, bunghole cleansers, and wipe-breeches, there is none in the world comparable to the neck of a goose, that is well downed, if you hold her head betwixt your legs. And believe me therein upon mine honour, for you will thereby feel in your nockhole a most wonderful pleasure, both in regard of the softness of the said down and of the temporate heat of the goose, which is easily communicated to the bum-gut and the rest the inwards, in so far as to come even to the regions of the heart and brains." (from Gargantua, 1534)


Just an example...

Anonymous said...

Sounds very cool - I wish I could play too...

DJ said...

heinz: I think my blog has officially now turned into a sex blog :)

teo: come pay a visit one day and you will! we think of all sorts of fun games to make life more interesting.

Anonymous said...

Hey, there was no sex in that! Only lots of arse wiping! Doesn't bathroom humor still get a pg rating?

;-) heinz

Anonymous said...

Besides it's "culture". Great humanist writer, renaissance, etc pp.

DJ said...

I actually don't know how you managed to get through the whole book....if it all sounded pretty much like the excerpt you posted. I would have been done with it after then 2nd page! :)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that one was not fun to read! Doubt I read all of it either. I mean the coarse humor and references to bodily functions are amusing, but the rest you have to read 4 times to really understand it and who has time for that at Smith?