Thursday, August 23, 2007

More Impressions, Part 2

So week 1 of so-called "math camp" is over and we are turning to the more social activities--Princeton bar-hopping:) Will report back on that over the weekend. Somehow I doubt that it could beat Bulgarian nightlife, but I guess as anyone who is from or has been to Bulgaria can attest, once you've been there, the bar for going out and having fun is pretty high. The one fabulous thing about the graduate student dorms on campus though is that we have our very own bar in the basement, pool and fussball tables and all, and, of course, subsidized beer. Guess I can't really complain:)

A few things about the US that I was pleasantly reminded of:

1) Everything is so well organized and smoothly run. It was simply mind-boggling at first. I guess what is even more amazing to me is how quickly one gets used to a different type of reality (such as the BG one for me) and forgets about other realities that were part of one's recent past. I guess you could call this culture shock, but certainly for someone who has spent 9 years in the US, you would think I was beyond culture shock at this point. But, in the end, when I really think about it, this way it keeps things interesting.

2) Related to point #1: everyone is so polite. I have heard more greetings, "thank you's", and "you are welcome's" in the past 4 days than I probably had in the past 4 months in BG. I must say it is very refreshing to have that. Although to some degree I will miss the frowning faces of marshrutka drivers in Sofia.

3) One other thing my Albanian classmate pointed out was the concept of "personal space", which really doesn't seem to exist in Bulgaria (especially not in any kind of public transportation!). He was joking that there must be something wrong with him if people were sitting one seat away from him in class. He also seems to think that people in the US speak louder than people in Europe...I have to ponder that point...can't really say whether I agree or not. If any of you have any observations on that point or any of the others, please let me know.

4) And last but not least. I just love the fact that everyone here is so social. We haven't met each other previously but already everyone is exchanging numbers, planning to get together, and helping each other out with homework and car rides. I think Bulgarians in general are a lot more suspicious of strangers at first...not that that's necessarily always a bad thing. Sometimes Americans can seem a bit too fake, but in certain situations (such as this one) it definitely helps to have people be more open and friendly.

So I plan to explore more of campus and the town tomorrow given that I am not familiar with either at all yet, apart from knowing that Princeton is probably the only university town in the US with a Ralph Lauren store in it. A fact that cracked me up when I first saw it. (Yes, this does sort of go back to my labels story.)

8 comments:

dxeavy said...

Well, myself being a European as well, living in the US for about 2 years now I have to say that I don't agree. On the contrary, I think people in Europe speak louder than the US. Maybe I am wrong, I don't know. Maybe it was just my loud family :)

hope you enjoy NJ and Princeton!

DJ said...

Thanks! I saw that you also very recently started a blog. Good luck with it! Let me just warn you that it's pretty addictive:)

dxeavy said...

Yes, I realize that already :)

Anonymous said...

Are any of you familiar with meyer-briggs personality typing or something similar??

We did some work with it (people often use it for job re-orientation, etc) in Psych class in high school and it fascinated me for awhile because I think they hit the nail on the head pretty well (though I don't think their practical analysis and conclusions - i.e. that I should be a nun - were that great - but that's a longer story).

Anyway, when they give you your "type" they also give you a percentage of the population with your type and the majorities, etc. I always assumed these numbers were based on Americans. My type was only 1-4% of the population and the population was quite predominantly extroverted (i.e. "loud", though not necessarily in volume per se).

I thought that was interesting and could possibly explain why I always felt I didn't quite "fit in." And as the extension of those thoughts - would other populations show different statistics and if so would those statistics support the most popular stereotypes of a country? i.e. would the German population be predominantly introverted and organized/punctual?

Had I been a psych major I'm sure I would have done some follow-up on this...

Heinz

DJ said...

That is an interesting point and I think there is something to your theory that different populations in different countries could by in large share Myers-Briggs characteristics. I wonder what it would be for Bulgarians?

Anonymous said...

Do you know the system? It has for categories, each with 2 possibilites (your the math person, so you can do the combinatorics...). The most interesting part to me though is that they assume that the world won't let you only use "your" type so give also give you a percentage for each category that represents how set you are on that type. So a high percentage would mean it is very difficult for you to interact using the opposite type. A low percentage means that you prefer one thing but it doesn't bother you as much to be forced onto the other side.

I am for example INFJ - Introverted, Intuitive, Feeling, Judging. The middle two are the most confusing to determine but have to do with how you understand the world. Anyway, the J has to do with how neat and organized you like things and I had a preference for organized, but a low percentage so non-organization doesn't bother me as much as say Toby, who would definitely be a high J. Buche on the other hand would be a P, the opposite of J, messier, more flexible, doesn't like deadlines as much...

Anyway, I think it is true that a lot of Germans ARE I's and J's which totally jibes with the introspective, organized and punctual stereotype.

-Heinz

Anonymous said...

I like the descriptions on this site:
http://typelogic.com/

It a little melodramatically written at times, but there is still a lot that I find eerily accurate. The nice thing is that the percentages account for the variance in each type, with a stronger or weaker preference for certain aspects.

And just in case you want to read them, my best guess would be that you are an ISFJ. But I may be off a bit, those inner two are hard to guess.

-Heinz

DJ said...

I have done the "test" before but I always forget what I am exactly. definitely the I and J...I should do it again. Thanks for the link. And I think the last time I did it I didn't get percentages associated with each category (or maybe didn't pay attention) so it would be good to see what those are as well. I actually also think it is pretty accurate. Supposedly, they now use it for job interviews as well or figuring out which people to place in a team at work