Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Scammed

I always considered myself to be one of those people who is careful about things and could never get scammed. But, oh well, the joke was on me last Friday. The scam wasn't that bad in the end, but it was a scam nevertheless, which made me feel somewhat like an idiot. The short of it is that inadvertently after an evening out with a friend, I got into a cab that actually charged double the rate of other cabs. No, I wasn't drunk. I had had nothing to drink all evening. Just some theatre, dinner, and a lot of good conversation. I guess I could blame it on the fog and the fact that there were few cabs around to take me home. The truth is that I only gave the cab a cursory look-over before jumping in. But, here is the deal. These more expensive cab companies do everything possible to disguise themselves as other "normal" cab companies. One of the biggest cab companies in Sofia is OK Supertrans; well, I had gotten into the cab thinking I was getting into an OK Supertrans cab (after my cursory glance). It turned out to be CK something or rather, but the logo looked strangely similar to the OK cab one. The rate list was also formatted in a way as to confuse someone who doesn't scrutinize these things normally...

So, lessons learned: 1) Always look twice before jumping into a cab, 2) Be especially careful when you are in an area with few cabs, and 3) Don't let an evening out get to your head.

No comments: