Tuesday, December 19, 2006

The Amazing Beloslava

On Sunday--thanks to a colleague of mine who managed to get me a pass at the last minute--I saw Beloslava at her sold out concert in the National Theatre. She put on a really good show. Programata had described the upcoming event with much euphoria and defined it as an acoustic chill-out, and Beloslava (and her musicians) definitely lived up to those expectations. (Apologies to non-Bulgarian readers, as the English version of the description is not quite as colorful as the Bulgarian one.) The thing I like best about her, apart from her beautiful voice, is her down-to-earthedness and genuineness on the stage. She is like your best friend. And this time she was a really sexy best friend, dressed in an elegant black dress. I felt like the National Theatre really was the best place she could have held her concert, because although quite large, it still has that cozy, elegant, and ornate feel to it that Hall 1 in NDK (the National Palace of Culture) lacks and which is very fitting for her style. Switching between her English and Bulgarian repertoire, the second encore of the concert ended with a terrific cover of Mas Que Nada. I left the National Theatre feeling at peace with the world... and even the wait for the bus home could not ruin that for me. I really wish more artists or public figures like her existed.

6 comments:

vlad said...

Feeling glad you did enjoyed the chillout live performance.
It's her second almost-traditional Christmas present for us.
I would have mentioned a few more words about the next-evening show (featuring Vasil Petrov @ The National Theatre, too) but... as good as already seen... you've captured the moment fine and relaxing even at the first one.

DJ said...

Vlad: Yes, I heard about the next day's show. Did you see both? How were they different (apart from the fact that Beloslava was one of a number of divas at the Vasil Petrov concert)?

Anonymous said...

finally... Bulgarian chill-out. very nice. in the vein of portishead or sia furler or K&D.

Anonymous said...

I have met her - she is a pretty cool person.

DJ said...

concerned: hmmm, I hadn't associated her music with those names, but you've given me something to think about.

theodor: Wow, I didn't know that. She does seem like a really cool person, so I'm glad to have you confirm that. You will have to share more next time we talk.

Anonymous said...

well, I might have some margin of error, after all i have only listened to "Listen to me"...the rest might be different :)