Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Americanisms in Bulgaria

So, what here reminds me of the US?
Some American phenomena have started making their way into Bulgaria and here are some examples (not an all inclusive list, I am sure):

1. Credit cards--Although not quite as widespread as in the US yet, and although most have a very low limit, credit cards are slowly gaining an "in"; at this point, mostly among businesspeople. (I can just picture the debt that most Bulgarians will go into, once credit cards do become more easily obtainable to regular folks... given how set most people are on showing off with the latest and greatest.)

Linked to this: 2. Paying online--You can now purchase concert tickets, do regular shopping, and pay your bills online (with your debit or credit card). I wasn't quite aware that this had gained such momentum since the last time I was here.

3. Onda Coffee Break--Starbucks-style coffee shop chain (there are about 5-6 locations in Sofia) offering about 15 different coffee drinks, brownies, cheese cake, sandwiches, salads, etc. I must say Onda is much more spacious and inviting than Starbucks... although very similar in terms of decor (with a mixture of tables and couches) and background music (although Onda seems to play exclusively Putumayo CDs). I've been only once; it was kind of nice, although I think I still prefer regular BG cafes. Oh, and one last thing--the coffee at Onda is 100 times better than Starbucks' :).

4. Food To Go (and getting it packed)--The concept of ordering food "to go" has also materialized since last I knew... and you can also get it packed at a lot of places, although portions here are usually much smaller than in the US, so most of the time... there is nothing left to pack.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Starbucks....just opened its first stores in Hamburg this fall (that new shopping Passage is now open) - 2 stores, one block apart.


As if we didn't already have enough Balzac Cafes around (which are nothing more than starbucks clones, but at least called something different). In the street where I work there are literally two across the street from each other!

On the positive side, one Balzac that opened up near my apartment is entirely non-smoking, which I think is a nice change for cafes over here.

H.

DJ said...

I remember how betrayed I felt when I first saw a Starbucks in Germany--by the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin... that a country that prides itself on its coffee culture with daily "Kaffee und Kuchen" should let Starbucks creep in just seemed unthinkable... but I can just blame globalization :). I'm kidding on the last one. There won't be supply where there is no demand, so I guess people do want Starbucks and its clones.

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, I have actually had a discussion with students about which is better - Starbucks or Balzac....no one else seemed to think that they are the EXACT same thing!

H.

dfk said...

´love the starbuck´s

DJ said...

defrank--I won't let you off the hook that easily. you have to tell me why. (if you are being serious, of course).