Thursday, December 14, 2006

Как бе, маме?

I was in the bus on my way to work this morning when the woman sitting next to me asked me where street Shipchenski Prohod is and whether she can get there from Hotel Pliska. I am very familiar with the street so I explained to her how to get there. She wasn't convinced, however. I proceeded to name landmarks, bus and tram routes, anything that she might recognize. Seriously, I basically drew her a (mental) step-by-step map of how to get to the exact location she was aiming for. Still, she wasn't convinced. I felt like I was in some sort of movie. Here I am trying to help an old lady get to the place she wanted to go, and not only was she not showing gratitude, she was even telling me I was wrong! My last attempt was to tell her she can simply take Tram No. 20 and get off when she sees the place she was looking for. At which she responded, "Как бе, маме? Там не върви трамвай." (which is almost impossible to translate into English, but the gist of it is basically: "What are you talking about, dearie? No tram runs there.")

Some people can be pretty stubborn, don't you think? Judging by the conversation that played out, I guess she didn't really want to reach the place anyway.

No comments: