Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Christmas, Christmas

Chrismas decorations have been put up in most places, and Sofia is taking on a pretty festive look. One thing I noticed about a month ago is that at the entrance to the building where my grandmother lives (in the city center) the municipality had posted a notice urging people to put up as many decorations, lights, etc. as possible to make our entry into the EU really light-filled and festive! A good idea, except I don't think most people will be concerned about how decorated their apartments, buildings, streets are... still, find it interesting that somebody thought to suggest this, put it down on paper, and even distributed it to various locations.

Aside from this, I really do like the city center at night, as I have mentioned on previous occasions. I have promised myself that I will take my camera one day and take pictures of Sofia By Night :)

Oh, one other funny thing concerning decorations... I have noticed the trend of decorations for marketing/advertising purposes. For example, the lamp posts on one of the main streets in the center are adorned with decorative lights in the shape of the Johnnie Walker logo (what happened to stars and snowflakes??). I also saw a Christmas tree with the logo of Husqvarna hanging in the middle as decoration. Moreso than anywhere else I have realized that these things cost a lot of money, and there is a need for sponsors, and of course, sponsors want to make themselves known somehow. Anyway, just a casual observation, as far as decorations go.

Speaking of Christmas, tonight is our work Christmas party at Бар на Края на Вселената (Bar at the End of the Universe). Should be good. I have actually never been there. Will be sure to report my observations/impressions as always.

2 comments:

K. said...

i don't meant to stalk, but i just can't NOT ask you if you've seen the giant coca-cola bottle xmas decoration, uh, thing, standing next to kliment ochridski's monument in the green area next to the art academy. the combination of that giant bottle, the xmas tree behind it, and the monument in front of it makes me cringe every time i pass by, and i'm not a xmas hater. sigh. i guess it's the right season for kitsch monstrosities.

DJ said...

Actually, I haven't, but will make sure to pass by and co-cringe. I am sure I will hate it too.