Thursday, November 23, 2006

Redemption

I (perhaps like some of you) feel generally intimidated by passport/immigration officials (even Bulgarian ones). Well, since a few days ago that has changed. The reason: Two mornings in a row on my way to work I see two different passport officials sitting in the marshrutka (coming from the airport), falling asleep, affected by traffic jams and general annoyances, just like everyone else... just like me. Somehow that doesn't quite fit the previous image I had in my mind of an all-powerful, generally disagreeable official who only looks for ways to make your entry into the country miserable. I mean, how can you get intimidated by someone who is docilely sitting in a passenger van packed with people and whose foot you can step on at any point in time? :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought of this post yesterday when I saw a police man (I am forever afraid they will ask me for ID and make me go get my passport or something) in the subway. Just sitting there reading.

And his pant legs were a little too short, as police pants almost invariably are, and you could see his socks. Black gyms socks with two white stripes at the top. They just struck me as being so terribly normal!

H.