Sunday, November 05, 2006

People-Watching at Some of Its Best

Last night I hit the jackpot in terms of my people-watching hobby. We were at the birthday party of a friend's (Eli's, for those who know her) ex-boss at a tastefully decorated small locale called Bukowski. In addition to enjoying most of the music the DJ was playing, I amused myself by observing some quite interesting scenes throughout the night.

Scene #1: The DJ is playing "I Will Survive" by Gloria Gaynor. Approximately 10 women are showing their dance moves on the dance floor, while across from them five gentlemen (ages 35-40 approximately) are sitting sullenly on a very low couch, one of them lazily smoking a cigar. What I found most comical about this picture is that the five men were quite big... and the couch seemed, ahem... well, somewhat small for their size. The looks on their faces were priceless. Wish I had had a camera on me to capture the picture.

Scene #2: While talking to a couple of friends, my attention gets directed to a skinny, short woman next to the bar, who I notice is lighting the BIGGEST (I am not exaggerating here) cigar I have seen in my life. The masculinity of the gesture just didn't go with her exterior, if I may put it this way :)

Scene #3: (Quite a typical scene as I have come to realize) A couple at the bar is arguing loudly and gesticulating wildly. This went on for at least 40 mins (and it may have continued, but I left to go home at that point). Kind of sad to see this at a birthday party where people are supposed to be enjoying themselves, but I have come to know that (sadly) Bulgarian women especially like to make a scene. Blame it on our wild Mediterranean temperament ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's one for you: I was taking my break in a coffee shop near work this afternoon and two business men walk in. After getting their drinks they don't sit down (even though the shop is virtually empty aside from me) but stay and one of the standing tables. One of them is on his phone talking within seconds. Shortly after hanging up, it of course rings again and I keep thinking: "Gee, if I was the other guy, I would be pretty pissed about going on my break with someone who is going to do business on his cell the whole time."

Well, at some point the first man gave the phone to the second man who then proceeded to talk to however was on the phone, then the second man's phone rings and because he is on the phone with the first man's he gives his phone to the first man to answer it. He then proceeds to talk to whoever was on THAT phone so that he actually moves out the door of the shop because they are both bothering each other with their respective conversations!!

sheesh!

Heather

DJ said...

Simply priceless! Totally cracked me up... businessmen are the worst and should be kept away from their phones with a restraining order :)