Thursday, November 02, 2006

5 Things I Currently Love About Sofia

Some of these are seasonal, others more permanent. There is more to add to the list, but these are the five things that jump out at me right this second.

1. Kinomaniaaaaaaa--The annual film festival that lasts THREE weeks starts tomorrow; I am in seventh heaven as I honestly thought it would only be a week long, like most international film fests in the U.S.

2. Proximity to Vitosha--National Park Vitosha celebrated its 72nd birthday last Saturday, 28 Oct. I managed a 4-hour hike with one of my mountaineer friends (i.e., walks quickly and does not get tired) last Sunday. I kept up pretty well, I think.

3. The lightly snow-covered trees in the park Borisovata Gradina (Честит Първи Сняг! It snowed for the first time today, 2 Nov.)--Gives the surroundings a magical air...

4. Theatre season (too many good plays to check out and so little time)--My Sofia theatre-watching debut begins next Friday, 10 November, when I will watch the comedy Marshrutka (a word that is really untranslatable in English). (Marshrutka are these passenger vans that are part of the public transportation in Sofia; they have specific routes, but then pick up and drop off passengers anywhere along that route; so, basically a hybrid between a bus and a taxi.)

5. Sofia by night (with all of my favorite buildings lit up)--No traffic jams and more peace and quiet. It actually feels calming to be walking the streets in the city center at night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

eii da znaesh kak, kato prochetoh post-a ti, mi dom'chnia za sofia, no hubavo m'chno.
a tozi weekend se naradvah na sniag za jalost v helsinki se stopi... i ako tva mi bilo finlandia!;)

DJ said...

Emi to tuka edva li mnogo shte se stopli, tui che shte ima sniag i stud i ti kato doidesh, ako ne si uspiala da mu se naradvash v Helsinki :). Vitosha e veche baia zasnezhena, izglezhda mnogo velichestveno. Vseki den i se vuzhishtavam ot prozoreca v hola. Hubavo e chovek da si pripomnia che sushtestvuva i priroda izvun grada.