Thursday, November 09, 2006

All wound up?

Yesterday, as I was making my way to the bus hurrying to make my yoga class (sidenote: I seem to be hurrying to and from everything these days, but that's probably a topic for another discussion), I had a run-in with an angry middle-aged woman. Here is the scenario as it took place and my best attempt to translate the conversation:

Bus arrives at the bus stop at which a HUGE crowd has gathered (as this is one of the main stops in Sofia and close to 20 different buses stop there). I am determined to catch it and start making my way through the crowd of people waiting for other buses (no easy task, because it was REALLY crowded). I near the last door of the bus (there are 4 doors) and seeing that about 10 people are standing next to it waiting to get on, I decide to make my way to the door before it. So, I politely say "excuse me" and try to squeeze by the woman in front of me. She suddenly barks out:
"Stop pushing, will you? You aren't the only one in a hurry." (At which I am completely startled, because I wasn't even pushing and clearly said excuse me, signaling my wish to pass by her. Plus, I had no idea she was even trying to get on the bus.)
Me: "I am sorry, I am not pushing; I am simply trying to get to the other door."
Woman: "Well, I am trying to do the same, so you'll just wait your turn!" (still in that very angry, disdainful voice)
At which I got really pissed off, because until the moment I actually said "excuse me" and wanted to squeeze by, she hadn't budged an inch. And I just couldn't just let that one slide. Who was she to talk to me this way? :) My response in a semi-sarcastic tone, just to see her reaction:
"Well, maybe you should push more actively if you are in a hurry."
Woman: "What disrespect!"
Me: "I am not the one being disrespectful. You are the one who was first rude to me."

Until that moment, she hadn't even turned around to face me, but guess that drew her attention, so she briefly turned around, probably thought I was 19 (like most people seem to) and just mumbled something else about how my parents should have brought me up better.

I thought two things to myself:
1) If this woman thinks I am disrespectful, I don't know how she would refer to the majority of people here who are far ruder and crasser than me at my best forced attempt of trying to be rude?

2) Most people here can be likened to springs that have been wound up too tight. At the slightest touch, they snap.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so did you both guys miss the bus? :)
which stop was that: Universiteta or Pliska?
bienvenida a mis enlaces de blogos!

DJ said...

No, we both successfully managed to get on (at the 3rd door), but she tried to get as far away from me as possible (not that that was easy since the bus was already so crowded) ;)

And the stop was actually Orlov most (how can you forget to mention Orlov? :) ), where people were literally spilling out onto the road. Ah, the joys of Sofia public transportation...