Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Shock...and more shock

Yesterday morning I learned that our company car had been stolen the night before. I was somewhat shocked. It was brand new and we had leased it only a month ago. Then I was told how it happened. My shock was even greater. Actually our company driver had been thrown out of the car (in front of his home), before it was driven away.

There are many versions of who might have been involved and why. Turns out that it still matters where you get your car "insurance" from... something I thought was history. Guess that shows how naive I am concerning quite a few things in my country.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What kind of car was it?

DJ said...

BMW X5...which led me to conclude that unless you are part of the inner "insurers'" crowd or insured at the right place, you should not buy an expensive car.

Anonymous said...

That's a strange choice for a company car. Why did the company need a BMW SUV?

DJ said...

Yeah, good question. That's what I first asked myself when the choice of car was revealed. Two parts to the answer: 1) my boss has always dreamt of driving a BMW (prob. the main reason we got this particular car),
2) we travel a lot for work around Bulgaria and the region (Romania, Macedonia, Serbia, etc.), so we needed a comfortable car for those travels and not have to rent every time. Granted, that didn't have to be a BMW necessarily.

Thing is... it should be fine to get whatever car you want. If you want a BMW and have the money to lease/buy it, you should be able to go right ahead. But here things stand differently, you have to be careful about what car you buy and show off in public (and where you have it insured, as I already mentioned).

So, in a way it's fine to say "oh, you guys shouldn't have gotten a BMW"; but on the other, the fact that that's the case is just completely absurd. But that is what it boils down to, and I even keep repeating that in my mind.