Tuesday, January 09, 2007

The last few weeks

Happy New Year everyone! Apologies for the late wishes and my absence. Since 22 December a lot has happened. I spent some time in Brussels, some time in Athens, was on the inaugural flight to arrive at the new Sofia Airport terminal from Brussels (very symbolic :) ) where the "first passengers to arrive at Terminal 2" were greeted with much fanfare: bread and salt offered by women in traditional dress, TV and other cameras, public officials, including the prime minister, and lots of applause! I actually did feel somewhat special, especially after we were all given a coin specially minted for the occasion. I greeted the New Year in Bulgaria with lots of light and fireworks, hung out with dear friends returned briefly from the U.S. (it actually felt good to be the one greeting and welcoming people back, rather than the other way around). Bulgaria entered the EU (which resulted in my not getting asked anything upon entering Athens; my passport was given only a 2-second lookover... unbelievable! :) ) and it was decided that Bulgarians will most likely have to write/pronounce euro as "еуро" rather than "евро" in the future. I am sure I am forgetting something, but I will leave it at that for now.

I wish you all a great and happy start to 2007 and may it continue that way!

No comments: