Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Mobile Phone Concerts

Bulgarians and mobile phones... Quite a few observations can stem from that phrase. For one, 90% of Bulgarians seem to own the latest models in mobile telephony (even the 18 year olds). Quite a paradox, given the fact that nearly the same percentage complain how they receive barely more than the mean wage for the country. (As a side note, I just want to mention that at the same time, in Finland--home of Nokia and neighbor to Ericsson--most people still own camera-less phones with black-and-white display.)

Well, the thing that I find even more bizarre, or should I say interesting, is how most Bulgarians never silence their phones. They have them set to the loudest setting so that we may all listen to their choice of ringing tone as they reach into their pockets or rummage through their bags to get to their ringing phone. And I have the slight suspicion that they do this not simply because they are afraid they will miss a call by not hearing it (that's why people thought of the vibrating alert that can definitely be felt if you carry your phone in your pocket or even in a bag). In buses, cabs, restaurants, etc. I am privy to the latest polyphonic sounds. Don't get me wrong, I'm not so much annoyed as amused. It was funny to walk behind a man who all of a sudden had the whistling tune from Kill Bill start playing from his pocket--the one that one-eyed Daryl Hannah whistled when visiting Uma Thurman in the hospital. It had quite a sobering effect on me :). Even better is when you hear a hard-core rap song, turn around, and see a middle-aged woman reach into her bag. And, of course, let's not forget the chalga rhythms some people are really big fans of.

Yes, every day out is like a set of concerts...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was accompanying my parents on a walk in the neighbourhood park where i witnessed something that in a single moment displayed the most shameful (yet amusing) appreciation for "status altering" technologies. A man was walking in front of us talking very loudly on his very nice-brand new cell phone when all of a sudden it started to RING! You know i think such people do trully have courage to do such things. Should we worry we arent like them? or continue in our humble yet voiceful pursuits?

Anonymous said...

Not that I think this is the more likely option, but just to give the man the benefit of the doubt (or play devil's advocate, whichever).....it is possible to record messages on newer phones. Messages several minutes long that you can play back like from a cassette recorder....

Very useful when you don't have the time to write everything down.

I'm sure THAT's what he was doing ;-)

Heinz

DJ said...

Anonymous: That must have been quite a confusing experience, as in "is this for real?" Would have loved to have witnessed it myself. Thank you for sharing--definitely made my morning. :)

Heinz: Being of the mind "innocent until proven guilty", I am gonna go along and agree that THAT's what he was doing. ;)

Well I will keep my "ears" open for other such occurences and will be sure to share.