Wednesday, October 04, 2006

How to Feel Young?

Answer: Come to Bulgaria.

The above may seem a little absurd to some, but I can guarantee that it is true. If you have spent at least a few years abroad (in a let's say more developed country, where things run in an organized way, there is less stress about every day things etc.), you are bound to look younger than most people your age in Bulgaria. Case in point:
#1. I take a cab home one night; once we get to the area where I live and I direct the driver to my apartment building, he started telling me how my apartment building used to serve as a landmark as soon as it was built (it's the tallest one in that area), which was in 1987. At that point the cab driver turned to me and said "You probably don't remember because that was before you were born."
So, according to him. I was born in or after 1987... a good eight years after my actual birth year :)

#2. I had joined a friend at the shooting of a commercial. One of the extras was an old man (probably in his 70s). At one point, he asked me, "So, where do you go to school?" (meaning high school). He was quite in shock when I told him that I had graduated from UNIVERSITY five years ago.

So, as I said. If you ever feel too old, pay a visit. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hm, funny you should mention it....(the part about looking younger because every day things are more hassle-free in a developed country)...over the past few months I have been feeling like the over-developed-ness of Germany makes me age. Too much paperwork and rules for people to get pissy about....I think it's giving me grey hairs!

Sometimes I really miss the whole "I am a cowboy" seat-of-the-pants attitude in the states - gives people a lot fewer reasons to get mad at you!

Heinz

DJ said...

Heinz: Thanks for your comment. You have a point too. I think that Bulgarians are often too negative and cynical about everything, and this "unhappy" attitude makes them age faster. The fact that things here often don't run as smoothly as in Germany or the US (take the long lines at the post office as one small example, or the overcrowded public transportation), doesn't help that "unhappy" attitude. It's interesting though that in countries such as Brazil and Costa Rica, for example, which would fall into the developing country category, people tend to be happy and cheerful and feel good about life. May be there is just something wrong with us, Bulgarians...

Anonymous said...

Hello,
I think that both of you are right about the stress , the "over-developed-ness" , youth and how they are related. I just like to add that every "national mood" has it's origins. For example I really believe that people in Germany age faster, but not in the physical meaning , I think they are growing old mentally , they tend to forget what fun is and surely are unaccustomed to the "I am a cowboy" attitude , simply because there cannot be any cowboys in Germany it is not accepted , it is illegal even :)
While in Bulgaria I think the physical changes are quite the obvious signs of aging. People are really stressed out by matters concerning their mere existance. However , regardless of their appearance, age or sex, bulgarians are always ready to party (have fun). In the end I think bulgarians might not feel good about life in general , but they are able to take out the best moments, even create such, and use them to the maximum , which is only to prove their "mediterranean temperament".

Just a random visitor.