Friday, January 25, 2008

Home is Where the [____] Is

Yesterday, I finished a Knowledge@Wharton article on one of my favorite topics: where is home once you have spent a significant portion of your life outside the country you were born in? Is there such a thing or are you sentenced to the life of a global nomad? And is the longing to go "home" (meaning the country you were born in) completely irrational? Should you stay or should you go back?

Readers who have followed this blog know that I often think about and discuss these things. After all, in 2006 I made the decision to go back to Bulgaria, at least temporarily, to see for myself what it would be like to live and work there. To check out the real life, so to speak, not the life fringed with nostalgia that I remembered from before leaving to come to the U.S. for college, when my parents took care of me, I didn't have to worry about earning a living, paying the bills, and all the other things that "grown-ups" have to deal with. I was also determined once and for all to answer the question, "Where should I live long-term?" Bulgaria, the U.S., or somewhere else altogether?

The conclusion I came to after a year back home is that the question is incorrectly worded and that there is no answer really. I have lived comfortably and quite happily in the U.S. I saw that I could live quite happily in Bulgaria too. I have enjoyed living in other countries, like Germany, Spain and Zimbabwe. Each one has its positive and negative sides. No location is perfect. What I have found though is that the more the search for the "place to settle down in" continues, the more places I explore, the more difficult the decision becomes. As your eyes are opened to more opportunities, you want to take all of these into account when making your next job search or school decision. More opportunity is fantastic, but at the same time makes everything all that more complicated. I am sure that if I had simply stayed in Bulgaria I would not even have these things on my mind right now. I am not saying that's a good thing though. Of course, I would rather be broad- than narrow-minded. But as people often claim, it is the fools that are most happy. Does knowing and experiencing so much take away from our ability to be truly happy in any one place?

When I am here I miss things from Bulgaria - the more relaxed atmosphere, the social life, even the way things are dysfunctional sometimes. When I was in Bulgaria I missed the multicultural environment in the U.S., the hustle and bustle, the ability to achieve once you set your mind on something, and not be impeded by stupid little things. In a sense, I am always on the wrong side of the ocean. Since Bulgaria though, I have come to accept this fact. It won't change. I have also come to accept that concluding where to live long-term is irrational. These days, with people moving around so frequently and so many global opportunities, I don't think there is such a thing as long-term settling down in one place. Most of our generation has turned into global citizens (however cliched that may sound) and instead of making the decision to move from once city in Bulgaria to another, or maybe one city in Europe to another, we are criss-crossing continents, and this is normal. So where I go after school (a question I have gotten from quite a few people already) will depend largely on circumstances and my priorities at the time I graduate, be they personal or professional. We'll see. I am not afraid of the questions marks like I used to be. It may be tough not knowing where your life will take you next sometimes, but it is also extremely exciting.

So, where is home? To me, home is where I feel I can truly be myself (that "self" having evolved somewhat in the last 10 years). Home is also where I have people around me that I can call at any hour of the day or night and know they will be there for me. Home is where I can grow as a person and not simply tread in one place. By these definitions, home can be (and is) many different places. I don't have to pick one. I know that now.

What defines home for you?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Home is where your heart is.

But like you, I sometimes feel my heart is all over the place, lol.
I ve given up trying to factor in everything and altogether....quite a task and as it is (supposed to be) known, looking for happiness, makes it harder to find it.

Maybe it is the same with home. Looking for a home, maybe makes it harder to find one and makes moving more and more tiring.

On the other hand, it is indeed awesome to be able to feel at home in quite diverse environments.

Argh...dunno. :) Whatever makes you happy in the end :)

Miss Biliana said...

I often ask myself the same question. I have lived in Canada exactly half of my life (I left Bg when I was 15) and still wonder where my home is. In Canada I am perceived as a Bulgarian and in Bulgaria as a Canadian. But I think the question has become more abstract now and I feel like I am not able to define myself as one or the other completely. And it has definitely made it easier to live and work in other places as well. But I agree with you, it is not a question I can answer.

PS Congratulations and good luck in grad school!

DJ said...

trol and miss biliana: thank you both for your comments...the topic is indeed one that could be debated at length and there are no "right" answers. it is something that is frequently in the back of my mind and i enjoy hearing how others, who are or have been in a similar situation like me, think about it.

And as "home-less" or "with too many homes" as I feel sometimes, I don't think I would trade this experience for one, in which I had simply stayed in Bulgaria my whole life.

ahsan said...

how about a place where you are understood? can that ever be considered a criteria for such a decision? we continuously go through trying to define ourselves with our experiences and education. but i feel like for me in the end home will be a place where those around me can see through these and string them together with where i am from. in most cases this is a function of the company you keep. but being understood by random strangers also feels good at times - this happens in places where i am not from originally and it happens in the place that i am from originally. in the end though...it feels good when this happens...makes u feel at home :)

DJ said...

Yes, I definitely agree. Being understood, especially when very little is actually said explicitly, does make you feel at home. Pretty amazing actually.