Wednesday, February 06, 2008

The Spoonfed Nation

The last time I took the train from New York's Penn Station to Princeton, I asked myself a question I had asked myself many times: Why are passengers not allowed to stand on the train platforms and wait for their train there like in almost all other countries, instead of waiting upstairs and staring incessantly at a monitor until their train platform is announced? This has always really puzzled me. At first, I had thought it could be because of safety concerns, but how could these concerns differ from those of passengers waiting for the subway for example? Then I considered the possibility that it was due to heavy traffic through the station, but would traffic really be heavier than at London's Victoria Station for example? Not so sure. But then I came to another possible explanation that seemed to fit pretty well based on observations from other parts of daily life in the U.S.: they don't want people to wait on the train platforms to prevent passengers from getting on the wrong train. I know it may sound absurd at first, but there is a high likelihood of that happening given how many trains pass through Penn Station in any given span of time. And it is even more likely given how accustomed people here are to having everything spelled out to them. What do I mean exactly?

Well, road signs consist mostly of words (not actual signs like in Europe and most other places): Yield, Right Lane Must Turn Right, etc. Yellow signs alert you to a "Wet Floor". Coffee cup sleeves tell you that you are about to consume "a hot beverage". And peanut packets make sure you know that your snack "contains nuts." I know that such disclaimers and signs exist mostly to prevent litigation, but at the same time, I think they have the somewhat perverse effect of making people more dependent on external actors and less reliant on themselves. People start thinking less for themselves and their basic "survival skills", if I can call them that, are debilitated.

But let's return to Penn Station. As I boarded my train and stared out the window, I noticed that a station employee was standing near the stairs. Then I also noticed that almost every single person who came down the stairs to board the train asked him whether this was Track 3,
whether this was the train to Trenton, or whether they should get on on this train or the one on the opposite side of the platform. These might all have been valid questions, except for the fact that a "Track 3" sign hung directly in front of you as you came down the stairs, the side of the train read "Trenton", and the train on the opposite track was dark and had all its doors closed. If no-one had been standing there to direct them, they would have just had to figure it out themselves.

Having observed those few things, I concluded that there is very high probability that people could inadvertently board the wrong train if simply allowed to stand on the train platform at all times, given how little attention they seem to pay to implicit (and sometimes even, explicit) signals. I also concluded that the U.S. is probably the most spoonfed nation in the world, for better or worse.


P.S. The above are obviously just personal assumptions/conclusions. I would love to hear what you think or to have you negate them, especially if you know the official reason for why people are not allowed to wait on the train platforms at most major U.S. train stations. :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a slightly different theory, though I'm not sure my speculation is correct. I think the reason passengers have to wait upstairs for the boarding announcement is that the trains don't actually depart from Penn Station on the same track all the time - rather, they come in on whatever track is available at the time making the departure hard to predict. At least, that's been my experience.

I do note that it's awfully hard to tell which side the train is actually boarding from until you look both ways to see which has doors open. It's a confusing place, no matter what. I still like riding the train, though.

DJ said...

True, that could be it too. Although trains don't always leave from the same track in many cities in Europe either, but tracks are pre-posted further in advance (like gates at an airport) and people are still allowed to wait on the platforms. Guess Penn (especially the commuter) trains maybe harder to organize in that way, but you are also not allowed to wait for Amtrak trains from Union Station in DC on the platforms (and there are fewer of those than all the trains at Penn). I have no idea why really. With my above speculation I was taking the more humorous approach to things (combining with other observations on how things here often are really spelled out for you, almost to the point where you ask yourself the question - am I stupid or what?) but on the other hand, that's not always a bad thing (what I refer to as "spoonfeeding", I mean); definitely makes a lot of things a lot easier than they are in the disorganized world of Bulgaria for example.
Maybe one day I should just go ahead and ask a station manager why people aren't allowed to wait on the platforms and once and for all solve this mystery :)

Anonymous said...

That spoonfeeding irritates the heck out of me on a regular basis! I can't decide if it's the result of the dumbing down of our society, or if it's the fear of litigation.

You're right about DC's Union Station (I live near the Amtrak line between DC and Baltimore). Actually, though, I think you _can_ go out on the platform, if only you know what platform is the right one.

I like the train stations in Switzerland, where they print big sheets of paper with the train schedule - including what track the train is on. Then again, they're Swiss :)

I'd probably have a better idea if I commuted to DC and took the same MARC train every day.

Anonymous said...

It might be a security issue, at least for Penn and Union stations. I know at Union it's easy to funnel the passengers from the waiting area to the platforms and check every passenger's ticket in advance. Probably the same at Penn (and even Grand Central, if I remember correctly). In Philly and Trenton, however, you can wait at the platform.

DJ said...

Well, at Penn (at least for NJ transit) they check tickets on the train. But, yeah, security could be an issue. That just seems to confirm that people/entities in the U.S. are way more concerned (almost over-concerned) with security than those in Europe, given that this system also existed pre-9-11. And no European train station prohibits waiting on the platform, as far as I know. One other thing I thought of is that maybe they do this in the bigger stations or also the ones that serve as first/last stops, where more passengers are getting on or off. The platforms at Penn really are pretty narrow to hold crowds of people making their way on or off the platform. But then that just begs the question of why they made them so narrow?

Anonymous said...

I will be at Paddington, St.Pancras and Gare du Nord this upcoming long weekend and will see whether anything has changed there.
I guess that was just a shameless plug. :)

DJ said...

I will expect a report. Enjoy the long weekend! (We don't get Monday off, but really with so many vacations here and there, who am I to complain :) )