Friday, November 16, 2007

(Re-)Introducing New Jersey

This may seem like somewhat odd timing for this post, but as I was riding the train from Princeton to NYC this afternoon and gazed out at the scenery flashing by, it suddenly dawned on me how much my opinion (or perhaps more accurate to say - perspective) of New Jersey has changed since I moved to Princeton. Prior to Princeton, my experience of NJ was limited to the NJ Turnpike (NJ's major freeway and the link to DC and NYC) - definitely not pleasant recollections for the most part - and two visits to a campground near the Jersey Shore with friends - a much better experience. On balance, I had a negative view of NJ. In fact, I was really dreading moving here for school. So what has changed?

Well, for one, I have seen much more of NJ (although I would definitely not claim to have seen it all). There are industrial-looking parts (mostly around the NJ Turnpike and in northern Jersey) but there are also parts that include beautiful landscapes - forests, lakes, hills (I had always wondered where the name "Garden State" came from as I had seen nothing "garden-like" about New Jersey; now I sort of understand). Jersey includes some of the worst poverty-stricken cities in the country (Trenton, Newark) but also one of the richest - Princeton. In a sense, it is a state of paradoxes. But I have come to appreciate these different sides to it.

Curiously enough, the other day I heard someone argue that Jersey is one of the best states to live in because it provides proximity to beaches (Jersey Shore), ski resorts (Pennsylvania), and large cities (Philadelphia, NYC, DC). I wouldn't personally go quite as far as claiming it is one of the best places to live, but would concede that this person did actually have somewhat of a point.

A friend of mine - upon learning I had accepted Princeton's offer - continuously teased me that I would become a Jersey girl. I don't think I am quite there yet (or that I ever will be) but I have developed an appreciation for my current state of residence that I previously lacked.

One thing is for sure. Although the fall colors may not quite rival New England's, they are still pretty spectacular. Something I never would have thought about New Jersey before coming to Princeton.

No comments: