Saturday, April 07, 2007

My First Time

Yesterday, I rode on the Sofia metro for the first time. It may sound kinda silly given the fact that the metro opened up in January 1998. But once you know that the Sofia metro currently has only 1 line, with 8 stations (started out as 5 in 1998), and none of the stations is close to where I live or need to commute to, you'll understand why this was my first time. There was no particular reason for it either. A friend I had met up with was going home and I decided to walk her to the station. Once we got there, I was like "Hmm, I have never been on the metro and I have time to kill before my next rendezvous, why don't I try it now." As you can see for me it was more of a tourist attraction :) So I rode till my friend's stop, got off and then waited for the train back.

It was an interesting experience. A few things worth noting:
1) The metro stations are probably the cleanest places in Sofia; they are extremely EXTREMELY clean. I actually hadn't expected that for some reason given how dirty Sofia can be.
2) The Sofia metro is no worse than any other Western European or U.S. metro I have been on... might even be better than some. Wish they would complete the next phases of its expansion faster.

PS There are pictures documenting my "trip", but it will be a few days before I can post them.
PPS Pics posted below (don't mind my weird expressions) :)






No comments: