Saturday, March 31, 2007

The Art of Planning, Part Two

Back in February I wrote about the difference I had noticed between the way people plan in the U.S. vs. in Bulgaria. I can now add another "piece of evidence" to support the point I was trying to make back then. I was on the bus traveling from NYC to DC when I overheard the woman in the seat in front of me on the phone:
"I would like to make a reservation for 5 people for brunch on April 29th."

For a few seconds, I wondered whether I had heard the date right, but there was no mistake. She repeated it again, April 29th. I was almost dumbfounded... she was calling almost 5 weeks early to make a brunch reservation!!! (This took place on March 27.) I could understand this eagerness to put it on the calendar if the brunch was being organized for a large group of people. But, the group consisted of only FIVE people.

I thought about it for a little bit and then decided that I could excuse her way-over-the-top organization and planning with the fact that she was bored on the bus ride and just wanted to get things off of her to-do list. Anyhow, anyone else have possible explanations for why people in the U.S. plan everything so much more in advance than anywhere else in the world, it seems?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i wonder whether there are many places outside the u.s. which would take such a reservation. one should experiment hehe.

DJ said...

that is an idea! :) i am almost certain that if I tried here, they would just laugh in my face, but hey, I can try different dates (i.e., five, ten, two weeks ahead of time) and see where the boundary lies, how far ahead it is actually possible to make such a reservation.