Friday, September 25, 2009

Things I Love and Things I Miss Lately

I am sure both of these lists will keep growing, but for now here are a few things I really love about La Paz:
1. Catching a glimpse of snow-peaked Mt. Illimani on an almost daily basis. Reminds me that I am actually in the Andes, and at a much higher altitude than I have ever been before.
2. Never having to wait longer than 5 minutes for public (or rather, what counts as public) transportation.
3. Getting my shoes shined to perfection on the street for 30 cents (and always having the shoeshine guy ask me, "De donde eres, señorita?"). By the way, I call the shoeshine guys "ninjas" because they wear these face masks that cover everything but their eyes, I'm guessing, in order not to breathe in shoe polish fumes all day. But they do look somewhat scary.
4. The fruits and vegetables are delicious! (and cheap) I have also discovered the strange fruit of chirimoyo (or cherimoya, as I learned it is called in English), which according to Milos tastes like bubble gum. I would disagree, but it is pretty sweet when properly ripe.
5. The multitude of bakeries and the delicious baked goods they sell.
6. Related to the above, I love salteñas - empanada-like pastries filled with beef, chicken or pork, potatoes, peas, mixed with a sweet-spicy sauce.


And a few things I inevitably miss (other than my family and friends):
1. Food from all corners of the world, but especially sushi. They do try hard to make lots of varieties of trout maki and sushi in the few sushi restaurants that exist (there's lots of trout in Lake Titicaca), but it just isn't the same. I miss Wasabi Lobby, our favorite place in New York, and I especially miss unagi.
2. Having things happen at the time that people tell you they will happen. I really think Bolivians are the kings of procrastination - always pushing things off till tomorrow, then the day after, then the following week. Although I can appreciate a more laid-back lifestyle being in limbo for days on end is not that pleasant.
3. Vegetation - there isn't much of it at this altitude and whatever vegetation does exist, is quite dry at this point. We await the rainy season, which supposedly starts in November.
4. Office happy hour culture - it doesn't exist here. At least not in my office. Everyone comes to work, does their job, eats a quick lunch together in the office kitchen, works some more, and goes home. There is not much getting together outside of work, at least as far as I can tell.

No comments: