Monday, March 03, 2008

When Pets Are Better Taken Care of Than People

I have seen my fair share of absurd pet accessories and "services" in the U.S. From strollers to ensure those toy dogs with tiny legs don't get tired from walking around to pet grooming salons to help your pet keep up with the latest fashion. For those who may have been bored on a domestic flight in the U.S. and taken to perusing the magazines in the seat pocket in front of you, you may have been dumbfounded by a mail catalog that includes a "pet ramp" as part of its product offering. If you don't know what I am talking about, here are some examples. I am really starting to believe that the U.S. is the one country in the world where supply generates demand for all this junk - from the unnecessary to the truly redundant. I had thought I had seen it all, when this weekend, while in NYC, I ran into my first ad for a pet resort on the street. I didn't bother to find out where this pet resort is located, but seriously...What's next, doggie driving school?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hehe:)deni, nie biahme v holandia minalia weekend s mama i tati i v tova gradche, kuchencata s'shto biaha super glezeni. razbira se oblecheni, no nai veche v kolichki kato bebenca:) te go izveli na razhodka ama to milichkoto da ne se izmori sluchaino, go chuchnali v kolichka:)
kakto i da e ... tati mnogo iskashe da se snima s edna dama, koiato daje ne beshe v'zrastna(da rechesh che niama za kogo da se grizhi)s ogromna bebeshka kolichka(koiato sig. struvashe mama tati i az )a v neia edin cheren pudel ot nai pudelistite ... ta taka s mama dobre se posmiahme :)

ps: ne uspiahme da se snimame;)

lina

awthird said...

We're buying one of those pet ramps. Our 70-pound Golden Retriever has torn a rotator cuff muscle in his right shoulder by jumping off the bed (dogs carry about 70% of their weight on their front legs). In order to prevent further damage to his shoulder, we're getting a ramp for him to use instead of leaping.

Yeah, we could keep him off the bed, but I bet that's not exactly your point!

Now, if Grandma had a problem with jumping out of bed, we'd get her a ramp, too ;-)

Anonymous said...

hahaha,
my prayers were answered. I (rather selfishly) thought I was the only one finding the contraptions for cats and dogs in the latest edition of SkyMall somewhat absurd.
The first thing I do when I get aboard the DCA-LGA shuttle is check the dumbstruck look on the faces of the pets in the catalogue. And indeed, the Litter Robot(http://www.skymall.com/shopping/detail.htm?pid=102181776&c=10720),
,The Kitty Washroom Cabinet (http://www.skymall.com/shopping/detail.htm?pid=102519387&c=10720),
and the Double Donut Deluxe Dog Beds (http://www.skymall.com/shopping/detail.htm?pid=102247402&c=10710)
speak louder than words.

DJ said...

lina: taka sum se smiala (i produlzhavam)...eh, zhalko, che ne ste uspiali da ia snimate. shtiah vednaga da ia dobavia na bloga. Iavno e niakakuv emerging trend, tova s kucheshkite kolichki.

awthird: I am sorry to hear about your Golden Retriever. Don't get me wrong. I love dogs (we had five at a certain point in time), but I find the ramp and other accessories a bit ridiculous. Granted your dog has a good reason for needing one, but lots of dogs out there don't, and owners still buy them! That's what dumbfounds me. If the dog is too small to jump up, lift it up. Do you really need to spend money on a contraption that achieves the same purpose? I don't know.
I hope your dog gets used to using the ramp only and isn't inclined to continue jumping off the bed.

concerned: indeed they do :)