Sunday, September 02, 2007

Luck or Something Else?

Last week I lost my favorite cardigan. I am normally very good about not losing things, so was even the more pissed off at myself that I lost this particular item of clothing that I really like. I emailed all of my classmates to ask if they had seen it around our academic building, checked in lost & found, but it was nowhere to be found. No-one had seen it. In the end I came to terms with the fact that it was gone for good.

Last Thursday, I was making my way from the dorms to our program's academic building through most of campus - a route that I take to and from the dorms every day, and as I was passing by a bush on the way, something for some reason caught my eye. Something black was draped over the bush. In that split second the thought went through my head, "Why would anyone drape anything over a bush?" And the next split second, I received the signal from my brain that there was a large button on the black draping thing. It made me turn around to look at it again. And another second later I realized why that button had drawn my attention. Because that was the very cardigan that I had lost almost a week earlier. I was speechless. It was lying right there, on that bush. I guess I had dropped it on the way home and someone had draped it over the bush in case "the owner" came back to look for it. Things like that do happen in universities and small towns in the U.S., but still it struck me as almost extraordinary. It was as if someone or something was rewarding me for something by giving me back what I have given up as lost forever.

That small occurrence made my entire day. Guess one should never give up hope even when it comes to more significant things and should keep on believing that extraordinary things can and do happen.

No comments: