Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Where Is That Draft Coming From?

A non-Bulgarian friend once said to me "Bulgarians really don't like to open the windows in public transportation, do they?" And with that one observation he pretty much summed up one pretty unique phenomenon (correct me if I am wrong here, of course): that Bulgarians are afraid of catching a cold from a draft of moving air. I mean we even have a phrase for "there is a draft" (става течение), which is pretty commonly used and is definitely not a catchphrase in English. From the time you reach an age at which you start comprehending things, the idea of a draft and how bad it is for you is hammered into your head--your grandma, your parents, your parents' friends, your teachers will tell you to close a door or a window (if two are open at the same time somewhere in the apartment, house, classroom, etc.) in order to prevent a draft. I never really paid attention to this before (although I myself "suffer" from the same concerns), but since the weather has gotten warmer and public transportation hotter and stuffier, the fact that people are afraid of opening windows to let some air in (there is no air conditioning on BG public transport) is becoming pretty obvious. (Now, I am not saying that once it gets really hot, we will still all suffer in silence with windows closed in a bus; what I am trying to say is that unless it is absolutely necessary, we (especially the older generations) prefer not to open too many windows. We also don't like AC too much.) Compare this to the AC-loving U.S. where in my nine years living there, I never once heard anyone mention the word draft (unless of course that person was Bulgarian). People are just not concerned with such things, which makes it even more interesting to wonder why we are.

8 comments:

kalina said...

old german grandmas complain that " es zieht" pretty often, too, but i think the bulgarian dimensions of fear of moving air are way more impressive :)

DJ said...

:) Funny you should mention that, because as I was thinking of equivalents to става течение (stava techenie/there is a draft) in other languages that is the only equivalent I could think of. Although I remember the phrase more from German language lessons than any practical experience while in Germany. Hmm, I wonder if there is an equivalent in French? earth to Liiinkiiich, help!
Btw, I think you will appreciate this: the Spanish phrase for "drafty" is que tiene corrientes de aire :D. couldn't the phrase be any longer? I guess that definitely proves it's not used that much, if at all. Can you imagine a Spaniard saying that?

Sonya said...

interesting... in pakistan we aren't so obsessed with drafts, leaving windows and doors open is very common especially to relieve the heat, but we blame the wind for every cold or flu or random illness you might catch. if you say you are sick in karachi, chances are someone will nod sagely and say 'the wind is blowing'. in a way it makes sense b/c a lot of illnesses are airborne but since we apply it to EVERY illness, it's kinda funny.

DJ said...

hi sonya! hmmm that is an interesting point but it makes sense. on the other hand, we are mostly afraid of the currents/wind/draught because of its chilliness and think we get sick because of the cold:) (which makes it sound like our immune system is somewhat weak). i even remember that my mom would forbid me to eat ice cream when I was really young because she heard from her mother/grandmother and other "wise" women that it would give me a sore throat. Now she owns up that that is completely ridiculous (and it is also no wonder that I like ice cream so much, as a result) :)

Anonymous said...

hehhe i zatova ne obichash funiikite :) samo sladoled za teb :)

DJ said...

smei se ti... ne e lesno:) aide kazhi sega kak e stava technenie na frenski? ima li takuv izraz?

Nik said...

Bulgarians are generally way too afraid of the cold. They put on very heavy coats, when the weather is actually warm and they always ask you if you want your water “cold” or “warm.” In fact, even the cold water is a bit warm for my taste. I have developed the American liking for water with ICE, which is a no-no for Bulgarians. Add to this the panic associated with drafts and you get the picture. I also remember an old gypsy saying: дъжд да вали, сняг да вали, вятър да няма, which roughly means, rain is okay, snow is okay, as long as there is no wind (cold wind I assume).

DJ said...

haha, oh, I hadn't heard that one in a while. yes, totally applies here!