Friday, December 10, 2010

Travels Revisited

Just now I re-read a post I wrote three years ago about a trip I took with classmates to Puerto Rico. It was wonderful to revisit the details but also disturbing to realize how many of those details I had actually forgotten in the meantime. So, I made a pledge to myself to write up in more detail as many of the Bolivia/South America trips we took as possible. Yes, the experience is not as fresh in my mind as it would have been right after each trip, but I am sure I still remember more now than I will five or ten years from now. This is a pre-New Year's resolution -  to capture in writing the following trips:
- Isla del Sol, the birth place of the sun
- The Jesuit Mission towns in Eastern Bolivia
- Potosi (or how the Spanish Empire bankrolled its conquests) & Sucre (the other Bolivian capital)
- Puno and the Urus floating islands on the Peruvian side of Lake Titicaca
- Torres del Paine and other highlights in Chilean Patagonia
- The Bolivian Amazon (forget Brazil, Bolivia's Amazon region is more pristine and cheaper to visit)