Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Slow but Certain Takeover

Several months ago, I noticed the aluminum water bottle's first entry into the classroom. A few of my classmates had one. Then it started conquering space. I would see more and more people drink from one. And the trend continued to spread. Right before Christmas, having gotten tired of feeling guilty about always using and throwing away so much plastic, I decided to finally get one myself. I would highly recommend it. Not only do I not have to worry about whether I have a water bottle handy or not, the water actually tastes better (or, rather, maintains its natural taste, as opposed to tasting of plastic). And I have reduced my plastic consumption at least a bit. Today, while sitting in on a presentation I noticed that every single water bottle in the room save for one was an aluminum one. I am pretty excited about this fact. Yes, it may only be a fashion trend but if it helps reduce plastic, I am all for it.

3 comments:

kalina said...

is this an overall new trend, or just Nalgene is too undergrad?

Anonymous said...

I thought glass was better than aluminium.

DJ said...

Actually I've noticed that a lot of people who had Nalgene bottles have switched to Sigg and others, but of course that is my limited sample of grad students in my program plus my exercise class at the gym. Definitely can't draw general conclusions. For example, I am not sure whether there is a similar development among the working population (do people bring an aluminum bottle to work?). Would be interested to find out.

Regarding glass vs aluminum. Glass could be better but aluminum is sturdier/almost non-breakable. Not sure what the take is on bacteria accumulation on glass vs aluminum. I know that's another downside to plastic bottles. Anyway, if you want one, let me know :)