Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Obamanos!

It is reality. Barack Obama is the next President of the United States. It will take a little bit for that reality to sink in completely, especially as we return to the usual suspects at the White House over the next couple of months. The results feel special not only because of the historical moment that they represent in so many aspects, but also because I was able to participate in them first-hand. I voted for the first time in a U.S. presidential election, having gained that right two years ago.

Tonight, as I sat among my public policy classmates, our eyes glued to the television screen, our fingers crossed, and our hopes up, I felt grateful that I could participate in this process and witness this transformation directly. And, perhaps, for the very first time since I received my naturalization certificate, I could say I felt truly proud of my second nationality.

Yes we can.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

:) I like the verb-ization of his last name. I hadn't come across it until here; I like the twist on "Vamonos" as well.

On the other hand, he totally ripped-off the Mexican soccer chant "Si, se puede" ;)

DJ said...

I guess he did :)