Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Not a Happy Camper

The pyrotechnic explosions started early last night and continued ... all night (except for maybe 3 hours between 2 and 5 am). They wouldn't be as annoying if it didn't sound like bombs were falling right outside my room and if the whole bed wasn't shaking as a result. At midnight we even had the morning siren, except it sounded for much longer than usual. All this is to celebrate July 23 - a day when five students were killed by President Somoza's army in 1959 during anti-Somoza protests. Except that this "remembrance" has turned into a week-long affair in the past two years, I was told. Today is July 23. I expect that I will not sleep very much tonight, given that all the noise, explosions, etc. will be much much worse than they were last night. Can anyone put me up for the night, somewhere far far away?

In other news, I saw a man walking stark-naked on the side of the road yesterday while returning from work. I was told he was mentally disturbed. Although I wouldn't be surprised if he was doing it in protest of something. Here, people like to protest a lot. But I think that is a topic for another post.

No comments: