Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Wide Awake Yet Sleeping

Yes, it has been a while since I wrote here, I agree. And I apologize for my infrequent posting. I hope to change that once this semester is over. I will actually have something new and exciting to write about come June because I will be in Nicaragua for 11 weeks this summer! Very exciting, but I can't fully immerse myself in thoughts about the summer given that quite a bit of work still separates me from my departure date. That's as far as updates go.

The second thought that I wanted to put down is just how unexpectedly spring has crept up on me this year. I had been waiting and waiting. I saw the trees bloom but then I guess I stopped paying attention. At some point last week I actually finally noticed that dandelions and violets had sprung up all over the lawns on my way to school. Somehow that made me feel a little sad; I have always been good about noticing such things.
And noticing has always put a smile on my face. But I guess my immersion in all the minute details of my school work made me completely overlook the big picture. That's just one of the things I actually finally noticed that "I didn't notice". I don't even want to think about what else I have missed out on (sigh).

Well, I guess I at least learned something from this: 1) I am never taking more than the regular load of classes again (what was I thinking?). 2) I really need my dose of outdoor time to be happy and feel sane. 3) Taking notice of little things is a treat not to be underestimated.

No comments: